D) THE WORKS FROM 1930 TO NOWADAYS
Even though the continuous adaptation of the hospital to the evolution of the sanitary criteria, in 1930 it was decided to carry out a large expansion and a deep reorganization, entrusting the relevant project to the architect Cesare Bazzani.
For this purpose all the buildings at the west end of the island, shown in pict.D1, were purchased and demolished; this was possible also thanks the intervention and an economical contribution of the pope, so that the permission was obtained on July 2nd 1930, only 14 days after the request.
The demolitions, completed on September 12th 1931, involved also a large part of the old hospital itself, so that only a quarter of the about 180.000 cubic meters costituting the old complex was preserved.
For the new foundations there were employed about 800 concrete piles connected by beams, tufa and brick masonries for the underground; moreover the old bell tower was demolished and rebuilt. The comparison of the arrangements before and after the restoration, including the further modifications carried out until 1983, is shown in the pict.D2.
Inside the Green Hall a latin epigraph (original text) commemorates the meeting occurred on April 11th 1934 in the old Chapter Hall to celebrate the end of the restoration works in presence of the cardinal Marchetti Selvaggiani and the architect Bazzani.
In 1957, on the architect Martini's project, they built the General Curia building and modified the hospital main access building the present porter's lodge; the pict.D3 shows the hospital appearance at the beginning of the last '60ties. In 1965-66 the Assunta Hall was provided with boxes for the impatients.
In November 1977 the general Prior Pierluigi Marchesi started a new and radical rearrangement, entrusting the relevant project to the architects Sergio Cobolli Gigli and Giorgio Monico, that worked out a proposal for the reorganization of the whole hospital both from technological and functional point of view.
The project, approved in the beginning of 1981, included the construction of the technological complexes, then still missing, and the reconstitution of all the hospital facilities. In order to get the necessary room new entresols were built, in particular between the second and fourth floor, obtaining about furter 1000 sq.mt, and all the activities not stricrly necessary for the sanitary functions were moved outside the hospital (the general warehouse, the Nuns lodging, the nurse School, the Accounts Department, the Personnel Department, some surgeries and the General Curia house).
In 1982 the Assunta Hall was completely restored and transformed into the present Congress Hall fit for 250 seats.
Besides the general improvements carried out between 1985 and 1993, in 1994 the surveyor Caporilli coordinated the archeological excavations and the subfoundation works to achieve new room: at first the works concerned all the not built outside spaces owned by the Fatebenefratelli, about 1200 sq.mt, in which the technological complexes were built; subsequently were excavated the yards (pict.D4) and the undergroung areas under the hospital buildings obtaining further 3000 sq.mt used for accomodate new hospital services.