D) THE ISLET AND OTHER HYPOTHESIS
The shape of the island changed during the centuries as noticed in the ancient maps of Rome. pict.D1 - Chiesa-Gambarini's
                                    map (1744) In particular, as indicated in the map of Chiesa-Gambarini (1744) (pict.D1) and of Nolli (1748) (pict.D2), a smaller island, the "isolotto" [islet], was located between the Tiber island and the sandy left bank, from this named Arenula (or la Regola) [from the Italian rena=sand]. It is said it consisted of a big stone made up pict.D2
                                    - Nolli's map (1748) of fragments of basaltic lava strongly cemented together. This brought to thing that the islet was "...il residuo dell'argine fabbricato da Tarquinius Priscus, rassodato da Augusto e di bel nuovo racconciato da Aureliano a fine di reprimere l'urto del Tevere..." [...the remaining of the bank manufactured by Tarquinius Priscus, consolidated by Augustus and settled again by Aurelianus in order to sustain the push of the Tiber...].
The islet rejoined to the sandy left bank during the 1788 flood (in the area just called La Regola or Arenula). These are the words of Brocchi [7]:
«Nel 1788 gonfiato il Tevere ... le acque del fiume si avviarono precipitosamente alla foce. Nell'impeto del loro corso trassero giù dalla scoscesa ripa del monte de' Cenci gran copia di arena e rimase così intieramente ostruito un canale che da parecchi anni innanzi era già mezzo interrito, per la qual cosa si unì al continente quell'isola che consisteva di un gran masso composto di rottami di lava basaltina agglutinati da un forte cemento. Opina il Gabrini che fosse il residuo dell'argine fabbricato da Tarquinio Prisco, rassodato da Augusto e di bel nuovo racconciato da Aureliano a fine di reprimere l'urto del Tevere... in quel sito havvi una spianata detta l'Arenula o la Regola ove sono gran cumuli di macerie... ».

It is worth finally speaking the attractive theory of Pinza [8] accornding whom the rich waters of thepict.D3 - The Marrana
                                        route Marrana, fed from the central branch of the effluent of the Castle lake (the present Albano lake), would have dug between Palatine and Celius and between Capitol and Quirinal creating the erosion amphitheater of Forum (see pict.D3 [9]), and finally flowing into the Tiber with a delta that would have created the Campo Marzio pushing the Tiber itself at the foot of the Janiculum. The decreasing of the Marrana waters the gorge between Palatine and Esquiline would have been blocked and the detritus would have made the Velia, while the Marrana waters were consequently forced to dig their river bed in the Murcia Valley (the present Maximus Circus) flowing into the Tiber after having to run alongside it in parallel (see pict.D4 [10]). The further decrease of the waters coming from the Murcia Valley caused the Tiber to flood the confluence creating therefore the island.pict.D4 - Pinza's
                                        hypothesis about th origin of
                                        the island
"… e da allora le diminuite acque della Marrana furono costrette ad approfondirsi l'alveo di Valle Murcia e a sboccare nel Tevere nella stranissima condizione che tutt'ora si osserva, la confluenza del fiume avvenendo rispetto a questa con un angolo di circa 180°. Le due correnti in siffatte condizioni si schivarono per quanto fu possibile e tra l'una e l'altra si depose una lingua di terra; poi diminuendo sempre più la importanza idrica di Valle Marrana-Murcia, il Tevere ne invase l'antica confluenza e la penisola che costituiva il setto finale tra i due corsi d'acqua divenne l'isola Tiberina. Il terreno romano appare quindi costituito dai depositi di sfocio nel Tevere dell'emissario del lago di Castello".